Soccer-Man City and Liverpool share spoils in thrilling title clash By Reuters


© Reuters. Soccer Football – Premier League – Manchester City v Liverpool – Etihad Stadium, Manchester, Britain – April 10, 2022 Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus scores their second goal Action Images via Reuters/Carl Recine


By Simon Evans and Peter Hall

MANCHESTER, England (Reuters) – Manchester City remained a point clear of Liverpool at the top of the Premier League table after the giants’ much-anticipated clash ended in a thrilling 2-2 draw at the Etihad Stadium Sunday.

The game lived up to its billing from the start as City raced out of the traps, taking a fifth-minute lead after Kevin De Bruyne’s strike was deflected by Liverpool keeper Alisson.

City, playing with the high intensity of pressing their opponents are famous for, could have taken the lead moments earlier, but Raheem Sterling fired softly at Alisson from a glorious position.

As the boisterous home crowd felt Juergen Klopp’s side were faltering, Liverpool showed their mettle as they regrouped and equalized eight minutes later through Diogo Jota, aided by a perfectly cushioned pass from Trent Alexander-Arnold.

The tempo was relentless, the action captivating and the momentum changed again when Gabriel Jesus put City ahead in the 36th minute.

Liverpool only cleared a corner as Joao Cancelo and the Portuguese full-back sent the ball deep into the box where Jesus had stayed to the side, moving past Alexander-Arnold and heading the ball past Alisson.

It was the first time Liverpool had trailed at the break in the Premier League this season, but it didn’t take them long to restore parity, scoring 46 seconds after the restart.

Mohamed Salah collected the ball on the right flank and split the City defense with a superb pass to Sadio Mane which burst towards goal before converting with his usual precision.


City were stunned but Pep Guardiola’s side recovered to regain control of midfield for much of the second half and they moved closer to winning.

Raheem Sterling thought he had given the hosts the lead again in the 63rd minute, rushing in a brilliant ball from De Bruyne, only for the former Liverpool forward to be ruled offside following a VAR review.

In the 90th minute, City substitute Riyad Mahrez razed the outside of the post with a free kick and in stoppage time the Algerian had a great chance to win the game but his chip attempt was not framed.

It was a questionable decision from Mahrez when a more conventional approach could have paid off, but City had to digest a little changing point in the race.

“It’s a great chance. Riyad chose to score and if he goes in it’s a wonderful goal,” said De Bruyne.

“We played very well, I think we had the upper hand. That’s how we have to play the rest of the season. I know people said whoever wins, wins the title. But it’s too hard , the schedule is too tough for both teams to win every game, but we will try,” added the Belgian.

The result was a repeat of October’s tally at Anfield and the first time City have scored first and failed to win in the Premier League this season.

A fourth Premier League crown in five seasons is in City’s hands as they moved up to 74 points, one ahead of their title rivals, but with seven games to go for both sides there is still a lot of work to do to do.

“Of course we knew we would be under pressure from the start, they are a fantastic team,” said Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson.

“I felt that we calmed down a bit and caused them problems. It’s nice to see that we came from behind twice. We have to focus on ourselves and win as many games as possible. possible. If they slip, we have to be there right behind them. We will continue until the end,” he added.

Comments are closed.