F1 extends deal with China despite missing 2022 Grand Prix

0

Formula 1 has extended its contract with the Chinese Grand Prix until 2025, the organization said on Saturday, despite the race being removed from its calendar for next year.

Covid-19 and China’s strict travel restrictions have resulted in the Shanghai event being canceled in 2020 and this year. F1 also did not include the race in its 2022 calendar due to “ongoing pandemic conditions”.

But that hasn’t stopped him from extending his deal with the world’s second-largest economy, which is a major growth market for F1.

“We are very happy that this new agreement will ensure our fans in China have Formula 1 racing to look forward to in the years to come,” F1 said in a statement.

“Although we are all disappointed that we were not able to include China in the 2022 calendar (…) said Stefano Domenicali.

F1 last month released a record-breaking 23-race schedule for 2022 that included several events – such as Australia, Canada, Singapore and Japan – which were phased out this year and in 2020 due to the pandemic and subsequent health restrictions.

The Chinese GP, which has been racing since 2004, will be replaced by the Grand Prix of Emilia-Romagna at Imola on April 24.

The 2022 season kicks off in Bahrain on March 20 and ends in the Gulf in Abu Dhabi on November 20.

F1 is growing in popularity in China, but the world’s most populous nation still lacks a home star.

But there are high hopes that youngster Zhou Guanyu will make the jump to Formula 2.



Source link

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.